Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dec. 4th, 2012 MidAmerica Healthcare Venture Forum

A luxury meeting for me, I plopped down $650 to attend this event at the Hyatt in Mpls. to hear the stories from entrepreneurs who are starting companies and running startups these days.

My 2012 client, Steve Anderson, the CEO of Preceptis Medical Inc., presented, and it was fun to be there to hear how he described the vision of the company, market opportunity, and next steps to this audience.  I met one of his BoD members, Michael Dale, the President & CEO of Medical Device Innovations, and also enjoyed running into Guido Neels, former COO of Guidant, where I had benefitted as an employee from his great leadership.

The main themes of the conference and a few highlights:

  • Mobile technology is disrupting traditional healthcare business models.  We now have the ABILITY through TECHNOLOGY to provide intelligent insights and have real applications for prevention.
  • Serial Entrepreneurs: Landscape today vs. 5-10 years ago.  Michael Dale put it straight up: it's COST that matters now, not incremental clinical performance.  He's a man after my own heart: in the course I teach at UST, I tell my students, there is a four-letter word in healthcare and it's not CARE!  A decade ago medical device manufacturers talked to doctors, now they talk to payers.  New innovation has to demonstrate COST SAVINGS to provide value in this environment.
  • The Healthcare Investment trend is shifting from Medical to Industrial
  • Economic Value Analysis: Innovation and How we Pay for it
  • Investing in AgriHealth
  • New Models of Financing in BioPharmaceutical Product Development


No comments:

Post a Comment